National Resource Links:
- Birth Injury Center: http://birthinjurycenter.com/. This easy to navigate and comprehensive website is dedicated to promoting awareness of common birth injuries and their causes. Their mission is to help users find helpful information on devastating birth injuries and their symptoms, causes, and treatment options.
- Cerebral Palsy Information CerebralPalsySymptoms.com.
Cerebral Palsy is the most common physical disability in childhood, with a child being born with CP every hour. Our goal is to raise awareness globally for cerebral palsy and other birth injuries.
- Cherish All Children: www.cherishchildren.org Cherish All Children is a national Lutheran ministry of prayer, education, relationship-building, and action to prevent child sexual exploitation.
Faith, Health, and Healing
- Church Health Center: www.churchhealthcenter.org The International Parish Resource Center (INPRC) transitioned in 2011 to it's new home at the Church Health Center. At the 2016 Westberg Symposium, it was announced that the INPRC had changed it's name to the Westberg Institute for Faith Community Nursing, in honor of Granger Westberg, the founder of Parish Nursing.
- Westberg Institute for Faith Community Nursing: http://www.churchhealthcenter.org/fcnhome. A place to find national resources, education, foundations, mobile view, iPad, and archives back to 1984.
- Church Health Reader: http://chreader.org/ A large variety of articles with great information for your health ministry. Subscriptionsfor printed versions available as well.
- Lutheran Church Missouri Synod Parish Nurse Newsletter and Health Information
Find health information on a variety of topics. Very timely and helpful.
- Partners in Health Newsletter from Holy Cross Health, Silver Spring, MD
- Holy Cross Faith Community Nurse Program Winter 2017 issue of Partners in Health.
This has excellant information and is an example of what Parish/Faith Community Nurses can do to reach out to people in their area.
- Portico Benefit Services: www.porticobenefits.org As an ELCA ministry, Portico offers health, flexible spending, retirement, disability, and survivor plans to help rostered leaders and lay employees strengthen their well-being. By living well as whole people of God, we believe we can better enhance the lives of others.
- Portico Links to the Wellness Revolution:
- To learn about the ELCA Wellness Reformation: https://porticobenefits.org/wellnessreformation
- To access wellness activities like the Go challenge for individuals and congregations go to: https://porticobenefits.org/CallToLiveWell/HowPorticoCanHelp/WellnessActivities
- To find signs of a healthy leader go to: https://porticobenefits.org/CallToLiveWell/FaithBasedWellBeing/CreatingResilientLeaders
- Here is another link: https://porticobenefits.org/AboutUs/WhoWeServe/ShapingHealthyFaithCommunities
- Toolkit developed by Emory University for developing public health and faith community partnerships
The link to the toolkit is http://ihpemory.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/MPF-3-21hcdp22.pdf.
- The toolkit describes 14 model practices unique to successful partnerships with the faith community. We feel it is valuable because it describes capacities that are unique to the faith community and is in a language and form that can be used: 1) to help public health recognize the why and how to partner with this communirty and 2) gives language and meaning to the faith community about its distinctiveness and contributions they make to health, particularly reducing health disparities.
- Musical Reflections, Tami Briggs, Therapeutic Harpist
Tami is a wonderful harpist and who produced many CD's that can be used for guided meditation, yoga devotions, relaxation exercises, helping with sleep problems and anxiety, to name a few, as well as for your listening enjoyment. She also has books with CD's titled Reflections on Grieving, and Grace Notes: Reflections on the Harp and Healing.
- ANCC’s Certification Through Portfolio video: the ANCC’s Certification Through Portfolio video tutorial is now available. Here is the link for your quick acces. It is now live on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm1OAVtrm0I&feature=youtube.
- Health Ministries Association: www.hmassoc.org HMA encourages, supports and empowers leaders in the integration of faith and health in their local communities.
- International Journal of Faith Community Nursing (IJFCN) The official journal of Faith Community Nursing International (FCNI)
- The primary aim of IJFCN is to support the practice of faith community nurses worldwide through publication of research and best practices. This is a collaborative project with the School of Nursing at Western Kentucky University through the University's TopSCHOLAR program. Access is available through FCNI's website, www.FCNInternational.org and http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/ijfcn.
- Journal of Christian Nursing: www.journalofchristiannursing.com
JCN is an excellent journal for parish nurses! Each quarter it publishes articles relevent to parish nursing. JCN offers spiritual sustainance, clinical content specific to mutliple practice areas, and professional insight for all nurses. In every issue you will find articles approved by ANCC for relicensure and certification for parish nurses. Online articles are also available through the web site.
- National Library of Medicine: http://www.nlm.nih.gov.
- Lutheran Global Health Volunteer program is all about creating sustainable relationships between volunteers and companion hospital staff in an effort for mutual learning experiences, be that medical or spiritual growth experiences. Furthermore, these service opportunities in Liberia, Tanzania, and India are fantastic ways to share the wonderful experiences of the ELPNA with companion hospitals. Most companion hospitals have extensive palliative and home care programs which parish nurses would be well-equipped to support.